I was worried that being single may be a barrier when applying, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Jacob has been home for just over a year, being a mummy is the most treasured gift in the world.
Georgia, single adoptive mother
Who can adopt?
We are looking for people from all backgrounds and lifestyles. The important thing is that you can offer a safe and secure home and can provide a loving and nurturing environment for a child.
There are lots of myths about who can become an adoptive parent. The reality is that we need people from all walks of life. You can be single, in a partnership or married. You can adopt regardless of your sexual orientation or cultural background. You can live in rented accommodation or own your own home. You can adopt if you have children already. Every child is different, so we encourage a wide range of people to consider adoption.
You can adopt
- Whether you are single, married, in a partnership.
- Regardless of your sexual orientation.
- Regardless of your cultural, religious and ethnic background.
- If you are a parent already.
- If you live in your own home or rent one.
- If you are over 40 years of age.
- If you are in receipt of benefits.
- If you have a disability
- If you have had fertility treatment. We do recommend that the treatment has been concluded for a minimum period of 6 months, and that adoption is a positive choice for you.